50+ Online Marketing Tactics for Non Profits
We are a team of website marketing specialists with diverse knowledge and experience in the latest digital marketing trends for non profits.
Over the years, we've worked with a wide variety of non profits to help improve their digital marketing. The tactics discussed in this section can help with digital advertising for non profits and even:
- Environmental Groups
- Food Banks
- Homeless Shelters
- Human Rights Organizations
- Medical Charities
- Public Radio And Television
- Research Institutions
- Social Service Agencies
- ...and more!
A Few of Our Digital Marketing Experts
1.) Lead Generation for Non Profit Organizations
Lead generation is an essential digital marketing strategy for non profit organizations to attract supporters, donors, and volunteers for your cause. By implementing targeted lead generation tactics, you can increase your reach, engage your target audience, and ultimately inspire action. Here are 5-10 specific strategies tailored to non profit organizations:
- Storytelling through Impactful Content: Create compelling and authentic content that tells the stories of the individuals or communities your non profit serves. Use videos, blog posts, and social media to share success stories, testimonies, and the impact of your organization's work. By showcasing the difference you're making, you can attract leads who resonate with your mission and are motivated to get involved.
- Social Media Advocacy Campaigns: Launch social media campaigns that encourage your supporters to share their experiences with your non profit and promote your cause. Create branded hashtags, provide shareable graphics, and ask followers to share their stories or reasons for supporting your organization. By leveraging the power of social networks, you can amplify your reach and generate leads who are passionate about your cause.
- Targeted Facebook Ads for Donor Acquisition: Utilize targeted Facebook ads to reach potential donors who align with your organization's values and causes. Develop engaging ad content that highlights your mission, impact, and the specific needs or projects you're focusing on. By reaching the right audience on Facebook, you can generate leads who are more likely to donate to your cause.
- Email Newsletter with Impact Updates: Develop an email newsletter campaign to keep your audience informed about your organization's activities, achievements, and upcoming events. Share success stories, impact metrics, and opportunities for involvement. By regularly communicating with your subscribers, you can build relationships and foster engagement with potential donors and volunteers.
- Collaborate with Influencers: Identify influencers, bloggers, or social media personalities who align with your cause and have a significant following. Partner with them to promote your organization and collaborate on fundraising or awareness campaigns. By leveraging their reach and influence, you can expand your audience and attract leads who trust and admire the influencers they follow.
- Host Virtual Events and Webinars: Organize virtual events and webinars on topics related to your cause, featuring industry experts or influential speakers. Promote these events through your website, social media, and email marketing. By providing valuable educational content, you can attract leads who are interested in learning more and are likely to support your organization's work.
- Crowdfunding Campaigns: Launch crowdfunding campaigns to raise funds for specific projects or initiatives. Create compelling campaign pages, share them through social media and email, and offer rewards or incentives for different donation levels. By engaging your existing network and reaching new audiences, you can generate leads who are passionate about your cause and eager to contribute.
- Partnerships with Corporate Sponsors: Identify potential corporate sponsors or local businesses that align with your mission. Reach out to establish partnerships that involve joint events, cause-related marketing campaigns, or employee volunteer programs. By partnering with businesses that share your values, you can leverage their resources and reach to attract new leads and supporters.
- Volunteer Engagement and Referral Program: Implement a volunteer engagement program that provides meaningful and rewarding experiences for volunteers. Encourage your current volunteers to refer their friends, family, or colleagues who may be interested in getting involved. By nurturing your volunteer community and leveraging their networks, you can generate leads who are passionate about your cause and eager to contribute their time and skills.
- Personalized Donation Appeals: Implement personalized donation appeals based on your supporters' previous giving history, interests, or engagement with your organization. Segment your donor list and craft targeted messages that speak directly to their motivations and the impact of their past donations. By personalizing your communication, you can enhance donor relationships and encourage repeat giving.
2.) Social Advertising for Non Profit Organizations
As a non profit organization, social advertising can be a powerful digital marketing strategy to raise awareness, engage supporters, and drive donations for your cause. Social media platforms offer unique targeting and audience segmentation capabilities that can help you reach the right people with the right message. Here are five examples of how social advertising can benefit your non profit organization:
- Awareness Campaigns: Use social media ads to raise awareness about your non profit's mission and the issues you address. Target individuals who are interested in related causes and philanthropy. By sharing impactful stories and statistics, you can educate the public about your mission and inspire them to get involved or support your cause.
- Fundraising Appeals: Launch targeted fundraising campaigns on social media to attract donors and supporters. Use engaging visuals and compelling storytelling to showcase the impact of donations. Target individuals who have previously engaged with your organization or have expressed an interest in similar causes, increasing the likelihood of conversion.
- Volunteer Recruitment: Create social media ads to recruit volunteers for your non profit's initiatives and events. Target individuals who have previously shown an interest in volunteering or related causes. Highlight the benefits of volunteering with your organization, such as personal growth and making a positive difference in the community.
- Impact Reports and Updates: Utilize social advertising to share success stories, impact reports, and updates on your non profit's projects and programs. Target existing supporters and donors to show them the tangible outcomes of their contributions. This fosters a sense of pride and trust in your organization, encouraging continued support.
- Advocacy and Petitions: Create social media ads to drive advocacy efforts and gather support for specific causes or policy changes. Target individuals who are passionate about related issues and have a history of engaging with advocacy content. Encourage them to sign petitions, contact policymakers, or participate in other advocacy actions to create meaningful change.
3.) Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) for Non Profits
Conversion rate optimization is a crucial digital marketing strategy that can significantly benefit non profit organizations. By optimizing your website and paid advertising efforts, you can maximize conversions and increase the impact of your initiatives. Here are some examples of how CRO can help your non profit organization achieve its goals:
- Compelling Donation Landing Page: Create a dedicated and visually appealing landing page for donations. Provide a clear call-to-action (CTA) that prompts visitors to contribute to your cause. By streamlining the donation process and removing distractions, you can increase donation conversions.
- A/B Testing for Donation Forms: Utilize A/B testing to experiment with different elements of your donation form, such as the form layout, button color, or suggested donation amounts. Through A/B testing, you can identify the most effective combinations that resonate with your audience and encourage more people to complete the form and donate.
- Impactful Storytelling: Use storytelling to share the real impact of your non profit's work. Through compelling stories of individuals or communities positively affected by your initiatives, you can emotionally connect with potential donors, increasing the likelihood of conversion.
- Email Marketing Optimization: Optimize your email marketing campaigns by segmenting your donor list and tailoring content to specific donor interests. Personalized and relevant emails can lead to higher open and conversion rates, driving more support for your non profit's projects.
- Volunteer Sign-Up Simplification: Simplify the volunteer sign-up process on your website. Make it easy for visitors to express interest in volunteering by providing a straightforward form that collects necessary information. A streamlined sign-up process can result in more volunteers joining your cause.
- Impact Metrics Transparency: Demonstrate the transparency of your non profit by showcasing the impact of donations and volunteer efforts on your website. Provide real-time updates on the progress of projects and how each contribution makes a difference. Transparency can build trust and encourage more conversions.
- Social Proof and Testimonials: Display testimonials from donors, volunteers, or beneficiaries of your non profit's initiatives. Social proof can validate the credibility of your organization and encourage potential donors to take action and contribute to your cause.
- Recurring Donation Incentives: Encourage recurring donations by offering incentives such as exclusive updates, access to events, or special recognition for recurring donors. This can help increase the number of monthly supporters and provide a more stable source of funding for your projects.
- Segmented Paid Advertising: Use audience segmentation for your paid advertising campaigns. Target specific audience groups based on their interests, demographics, or past interactions with your non profit. Segmenting your ads can lead to higher engagement and conversions.
- Impactful Visual Content: Utilize impactful visual content, such as images and videos, to showcase the work and accomplishments of your non profit. Visual content can evoke emotions and inspire action, leading to increased engagement and conversions on your website and social media platforms.
4.) Sales Funnels for Non Profit Organizations
As a non profit organization, sales funnels can be an effective digital marketing strategy to engage donors, raise funds, and increase support for your cause. Sales funnels provide a structured approach to connect with potential donors, educate them about your mission, and encourage them to take action. Here are 5 examples of how sales funnels can benefit your non profit organization:
- Donation Drive Funnel: Create a landing page focused on a specific fundraising campaign or donation drive. Utilize social media advertising or email marketing to reach potential donors. The landing page should highlight the impact of their donations and the urgency of the cause. Offer multiple donation options and demonstrate transparency on how funds will be used. Follow up with email sequences that share success stories, provide updates on the campaign progress, and encourage recurring donations or higher donation amounts.
- Volunteer Recruitment Funnel: Design a landing page targeted at recruiting volunteers for your organization's events or programs. Utilize social media advertising or collaborate with local community groups to attract potential volunteers. The landing page should emphasize the value of volunteering and the impact volunteers can make. Provide a sign-up form for interested individuals to join your volunteer team. Follow up with email sequences that showcase volunteer success stories, outline upcoming volunteer opportunities, and express gratitude for their interest in contributing their time and skills.
- Newsletter Subscription Funnel: Create a landing page focused on building your email subscriber list for newsletters and updates. Utilize website pop-ups or social media advertising to attract potential subscribers. The landing page should highlight the value of your organization's newsletters and the type of content subscribers can expect. Offer a free resource, such as an e-book or guide, as an incentive to subscribe. Follow up with email sequences that deliver valuable content, share impactful stories about your organization's work, and encourage subscribers to engage further with your cause.
- Legacy Giving Funnel: Design a landing page targeted at donors interested in leaving a lasting impact through planned giving or bequests. Utilize email marketing or partner with estate planning professionals to reach potential donors. The landing page should emphasize the benefits of legacy giving and provide information on how to include your organization in their estate plans. Offer a downloadable legacy giving guide or host a virtual legacy giving seminar. Follow up with email sequences that share inspiring stories of donors who have included your organization in their estate plans, provide support and resources for legacy giving decisions, and express gratitude for their consideration.
- Corporate Partnership Funnel: Create a landing page targeted at potential corporate partners interested in collaborating with your organization. Utilize email outreach or networking events to connect with businesses. The landing page should showcase the mutual benefits of partnership and the positive impact on the community. Offer a tailored proposal or sponsorship package for interested businesses. Follow up with email sequences that provide examples of successful corporate partnerships, demonstrate the visibility and exposure they can gain by supporting your cause, and invite them to a partnership presentation or meeting.
5.) Email Marketing for Non Profits
As a non profit organization, email marketing can be a powerful digital marketing strategy to connect with your supporters, raise awareness, and drive donations for your cause. With targeted email campaigns, you can engage your audience, share inspiring stories, and promote your fundraising efforts. Here are six examples of how email marketing can benefit your non profit:
- Impactful Stories: Use email campaigns to share impactful stories of individuals or communities that have benefited from your non profit's work. Personal and heartfelt stories can evoke emotions and inspire your supporters to take action or donate to support your cause.
- Event Invitations: Send email invitations for fundraising events, webinars, or volunteer opportunities. Email marketing allows you to reach a wide audience quickly and efficiently, increasing attendance and engagement in your events.
- Monthly Newsletters: Send monthly newsletters to keep your supporters informed about your non profit's latest activities, achievements, and upcoming initiatives. Newsletters provide a regular touchpoint to maintain a strong connection with your audience.
- Matching Campaigns: Launch matching campaigns where a generous donor pledges to match all donations up to a certain amount. Use email marketing to announce and promote these campaigns, creating a sense of urgency and motivating donors to make a contribution to double their impact.
- Volunteer Calls-to-Action: Encourage email subscribers to volunteer their time or skills for your organization. Use email marketing to highlight specific volunteer opportunities and explain how volunteers play a crucial role in fulfilling your non profit's mission.
- Donor Appreciation: Send personalized thank-you emails to acknowledge and appreciate your donors. Expressing gratitude can foster a sense of loyalty among your supporters and encourage repeat donations in the future.
6.) Search Advertising for Non Profit Organizations
Search advertising can be a highly effective strategy to promote your non profit's mission and connect with potential donors and volunteers who share your passion for making a positive impact. By utilizing search ads, you can reach individuals actively searching for ways to support charitable causes, making your organization more visible and increasing engagement. Below are five examples of how search advertising can benefit your non profit organization and help you achieve your philanthropic goals:
- Donate to Your Cause: Create search ads to encourage donations to your non profit's cause. Use keywords related to your mission, such as "donate to [your cause]" or "support [your cause] charity," to reach individuals who are actively looking for ways to contribute to organizations like yours. This strategy allows you to connect with potential donors and inspire them to make a positive impact through their financial support.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Advertise your volunteer opportunities through search ads. Use keywords like "non profit volunteer opportunities" or "charity volunteer near me" to attract individuals interested in giving their time and skills to support your organization. This strategy positions your non profit as a place where volunteers can make a meaningful difference and contribute to your mission's success.
- Advocacy and Awareness: Run search ads to promote your non profit's advocacy efforts and raise awareness for your cause. Target keywords related to your advocacy initiatives, such as "campaign for [your cause]" or "advocate for [your cause]," to connect with individuals who are passionate about the same social or environmental issues. This strategy allows you to engage with like-minded individuals and encourage them to join your advocacy efforts.
- Impact Stories and Success Stories: Showcase your non profit's impact stories and success stories through search ads. Use keywords like "non profit success stories" or "how [your cause] made a difference" to share compelling narratives of the lives your organization has touched. This strategy allows you to inspire and connect with potential supporters by highlighting the tangible results of your work.
- Event Promotion: Create search ads to promote your non profit's events and fundraisers. Use keywords like "charity event near me" or "non profit fundraiser gala" to attract individuals looking for philanthropic events to attend. This strategy allows you to increase event attendance, raise funds, and expand your non profit's reach in the community.
7.) Content Marketing for Non Profit Organizations
As a non profit organization, content marketing can be a valuable digital strategy to increase awareness, engage supporters, and drive donations for your cause. By creating meaningful and compelling content, you can connect with your audience on a deeper level and inspire them to take action. Here are five examples of how content marketing can help your non profit organization:
- Impact Stories and Case Studies: Share powerful impact stories and case studies that showcase the positive outcomes and changes your organization has made. Use real-life examples of how your programs or initiatives have made a difference in people's lives. This content humanizes your cause and demonstrates the value of supporting your non profit.
- Educational Infographics and Data Visualizations: Create educational infographics and data visualizations that highlight the issues your non profit addresses. Use statistics and data to raise awareness about the scale of the problem and the importance of your organization's mission. Visual content is highly shareable and can attract new supporters to your cause.
- Engaging Social Media Campaigns: Develop social media campaigns that involve your audience in spreading your message. Encourage them to share posts, stories, or images related to your cause using a specific hashtag. User-generated content not only amplifies your reach but also fosters a sense of community around your non profit.
- Interactive Fundraising Events: Host virtual or in-person interactive fundraising events, such as webinars, live streams, or online workshops. Use these events to educate your audience about your mission, showcase your initiatives, and invite them to donate or become regular supporters. Interactive content fosters engagement and builds relationships with potential donors.
- Email Newsletters and Impact Updates: Send regular email newsletters to your subscribers with updates on your non profit's impact, upcoming events, and success stories. Use email as a channel to connect with your supporters, express gratitude for their contributions, and keep them informed about your organization's progress. Personalized and informative newsletters can help retain and engage donors over time.
8.) Reputation Management for Nonprofits
As a nonprofit organization, reputation management is a crucial digital marketing strategy that can significantly impact your success and attract more supporters and donors. It involves actively shaping and maintaining the online perception of your nonprofit's mission and impact. Here are five tailored examples of how reputation management can benefit your nonprofit organization:
- Showcase Impactful Stories: Feature compelling stories of the individuals or communities your nonprofit has helped on your website and social media. Share real-life success stories and the positive outcomes of your programs and initiatives. These stories will enhance your reputation as a nonprofit organization that creates a meaningful and lasting impact on people's lives.
- Highlight Transparent Financials: Display transparent financial information, including how donations are utilized and the allocation of funds, on your website and in annual reports. Show accountability and stewardship of donors' contributions. This emphasis on financial transparency will build trust with potential donors and reinforce your reputation as a nonprofit that handles funds responsibly.
- Informative Content on Causes: Provide informative content on the issues your nonprofit is tackling, statistics, and research on your website and social media. Offer valuable insights into the importance of the causes you support. This content marketing approach positions you as an authoritative source of information, attracting potential supporters who are passionate about your cause.
- Responsive Donor Communication: Offer prompt responses to inquiries and donor communication through phone calls, emails, or social media. Acknowledge and thank donors for their contributions, regardless of the amount. Demonstrating excellent donor communication will foster donor loyalty and enhance your reputation as a nonprofit that values its supporters.
- Engage with Volunteers: Engage with your volunteers through social media, newsletters, or recognition events. Showcase the impact of their efforts and the difference they make in the community. This engagement approach will reinforce your reputation as a nonprofit that values and appreciates its volunteers, encouraging them to stay committed to your cause.
9.) Video Marketing for Non Profit Organizations
As a non profit organization, video marketing is a powerful digital strategy that can help you connect with donors, raise awareness about your cause, and inspire action. Video has the ability to evoke emotions, tell compelling stories, and create a personal connection with your audience. Here are five effective examples of how video marketing can benefit your non profit:
- Impact Stories: Create impactful video stories that showcase the real-life impact of your non profit's work. Feature beneficiaries or individuals whose lives have been positively transformed by your organization. These stories humanize your cause, tug at heartstrings, and motivate viewers to support your mission.
- Virtual Fundraising Events: Organize virtual fundraising events and use video marketing to promote them. Create teaser videos that build excitement, highlight the event's goals, and feature special guests or performers. During the event, use live or pre-recorded videos to share updates, success stories, and calls-to-action for donations.
- Behind-the-Scenes: Offer a glimpse behind the scenes of your non profit's daily operations. Show how donations are utilized, the dedication of your team, and the challenges you overcome to make a difference. Transparency and authenticity in these videos build trust with your audience.
- Volunteer Spotlights: Recognize the efforts of your volunteers by creating spotlight videos. Interview volunteers, showcase their contributions, and share the impact of their work on your organization's mission. These videos can inspire others to get involved and volunteer their time and skills.
- Education and Advocacy: Produce educational videos that raise awareness about the issues your non profit addresses. Explain the significance of the problem, provide facts and statistics, and offer actionable steps viewers can take to support your cause. Educating the public through video can turn them into informed advocates for your mission.