50+ Digital Marketing Tactics for Public Relation Managers
We're a team of internet marketing specialists with deep knowledge of online marketing needs for public relations firms.
Over the years, we've worked with a wide variety of public relation managers to help improve their online advertising. The tactics discussed in this section can help with website marketing for public relation managers and even:
- Crisis Management Firms
- Media Relations Companies
- Brand Strategy Firms
- Corporate Communication Firms
- Event Planning Companies
- Thought Leadership Consulting Firms
- Public Affairs Firms
- Reputation Management Companies
- ...and more!
A Few of Our Digital Marketing Experts
1.) Lead Generation for Public Relations Companies
Lead generation is an essential digital marketing strategy for public relations companies aiming to attract clients who need their expertise in managing their reputation and communication strategies. By implementing targeted tactics, you can connect with businesses or individuals who are actively seeking PR services. Here are 5-10 specific strategies to help you generate more leads as a PR company:
- Content Marketing: Create high-quality blog posts, articles, and resources that showcase your expertise in the PR industry. Share valuable insights, case studies, and success stories to establish yourself as a thought leader. Optimize your content for search engines to attract organic traffic and capture leads who are seeking PR solutions or insights.
- Email Marketing: Build an email list by offering exclusive content, such as PR tips, industry updates, or whitepapers, in exchange for visitors' email addresses. Send regular newsletters with valuable information, success stories, and testimonials. By nurturing leads through email marketing, you can build relationships and convert them into clients.
- Webinars and Workshops: Host webinars or workshops on topics related to PR and communication strategies. Offer practical insights, best practices, and actionable tips to attendees. Collect contact information during registration and follow up with participants after the event to gauge interest in your services. Webinars and workshops can position you as an expert and generate leads from businesses or individuals seeking PR guidance.
- Client Case Studies: Showcase successful PR campaigns and their impact on your clients' businesses through case studies. Highlight the challenges, strategies, and results achieved. Publish these case studies on your website, share them on social media, and include them in your email marketing campaigns. Prospective clients who relate to the showcased challenges and desired outcomes may be motivated to reach out for PR assistance.
- Guest Blogging: Contribute guest blog posts to industry-related websites, publications, or blogs. Offer valuable insights, tips, or trends related to PR and communications. Include a bio or author profile that links back to your website. By positioning yourself as an authority in the PR field and leveraging the existing audience of the publishing platforms, you can attract leads who are interested in PR services.
- Industry Partnerships: Collaborate with complementary service providers or agencies, such as marketing firms or event planners, to offer bundled services or referrals. Create partnerships that benefit both parties and exchange leads. For example, you can refer clients in need of marketing services to your partner, and they can refer clients requiring PR support to you.
- Social Media Advertising: Utilize social media advertising platforms, such as LinkedIn or Facebook Ads, to target businesses or individuals who may benefit from PR services. Create compelling ad campaigns that highlight your expertise, success stories, or the specific PR services you offer. By reaching the right audience with targeted ads, you can generate leads from those interested in enhancing their brand reputation or communication strategies.
- Client Referral Program: Implement a referral program that rewards your existing clients for referring new clients to your PR company. Offer incentives such as discounted services or additional PR support. By tapping into your satisfied clients' networks and encouraging referrals, you can generate leads who are already familiar with your reputation and the quality of your work.
- Public Speaking Engagements: Seek opportunities to speak at industry conferences, seminars, or events. Offer engaging presentations on PR-related topics, trends, or case studies. Share your expertise and knowledge with the audience, and ensure you have a clear call-to-action at the end of your presentation, such as offering a free consultation or resource. Public speaking engagements can position you as an expert and attract leads who are interested in your PR services.
- Online Reviews and Testimonials: Encourage your satisfied clients to leave reviews and testimonials on platforms such as Google, Clutch, or LinkedIn. Display these reviews prominently on your website and share them on social media. Positive reviews and testimonials build trust and credibility, influencing potential clients researching PR agencies.
- Targeted PR Campaigns: Develop and execute targeted PR campaigns to raise awareness of your agency. Craft compelling press releases, media pitches, or thought leadership articles and distribute them to relevant journalists, influencers, or industry publications. By securing media coverage or industry recognition, you can increase your visibility, attract leads, and position your agency as an expert in the field.
2.) Social Advertising for Public Relations Firms
As a public relations firm, social advertising can be a powerful digital marketing strategy to showcase your expertise, attract new clients, and build relationships with your target audience. Here are five examples of how social advertising can help your public relations business:
- Showcasing Success Stories: Create social media ads that highlight successful PR campaigns you have executed for your clients. Use compelling visuals and engaging copy to showcase the results you achieved, such as media coverage, increased brand visibility, or improved reputation. Target industry-specific audiences to attract potential clients who can relate to your previous success in their niche.
- Thought Leadership Promotion: Run social media ads to promote thought leadership content, such as blog posts, whitepapers, or webinars, authored by your PR experts. Target decision-makers in your target industries or businesses facing specific PR challenges. By positioning your team as industry thought leaders, you can attract clients who seek knowledgeable and innovative PR solutions.
- Event Promotion: Use social media ads to promote PR events, such as press conferences, product launches, or media tours. Target journalists and media professionals in your local area or industry. Effective event promotion can increase media attendance and coverage, helping your clients achieve their communication goals.
- Reputation Management: Develop social media ads that address reputation management issues, such as crisis communications or brand damage control. Target businesses or individuals facing reputation challenges and offer your expertise in managing and repairing their online image. Effective reputation management ads can attract clients seeking immediate and professional PR support during challenging times.
- Client Testimonials: Create social media ads featuring testimonials from satisfied clients who have benefitted from your PR services. Target decision-makers in industries that align with your client base. Positive feedback and endorsements from previous clients can enhance your credibility and persuade potential clients to choose your public relations firm.
3.) Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) for Public Relations Firms
Conversion rate optimization is a vital digital marketing strategy for your PR firm to attract potential clients, showcase your expertise, and increase inquiries. By optimizing your website and paid advertising, you can enhance user experience and encourage visitors to take actions, such as filling out contact forms or requesting consultation services. Here are some examples of how CRO can help your PR firm get more conversions:
- Clear and Compelling Call-to-Action (CTA) Statements: Use clear and compelling CTA statements on your website and paid ads. For instance, "Contact Us for a PR Strategy Consultation," "Get Featured in Top Publications," or "Request a PR Quote Now." Well-crafted CTAs can prompt visitors to take action and inquire about your PR services.
- Highlighting Case Studies and Success Stories: Showcase your PR firm's successful case studies and client success stories. Highlight the impact of your PR campaigns in increasing brand visibility, media coverage, and client growth. This evidence of your expertise can convince potential clients to choose your services.
- Engaging Video Content: Create engaging video content that highlights your PR firm's services, team members, and previous media coverage. Videos can capture visitors' attention and leave a lasting impression, encouraging them to reach out for more information.
- Client Testimonials: Display testimonials from satisfied clients on your website. Positive feedback can build trust and credibility, influencing potential clients to inquire about your PR services.
- Effective Landing Pages: Create dedicated landing pages for specific PR services you offer, such as media relations, crisis management, or influencer outreach. Tailoring landing pages to each service can provide a more personalized experience, increasing the likelihood of conversion.
- Offering Free Resources: Provide valuable free resources, such as PR guides, industry reports, or media contact lists, in exchange for visitors' email addresses. This strategy can help grow your email list and nurture potential leads into becoming paying clients.
- Live Chat Support: Implement live chat support on your website to engage with visitors in real-time. Promptly answering their questions and offering assistance can boost trust and confidence, leading to more inquiries about your PR services.
- Highlighting Expertise in Niche Industries: Emphasize your PR firm's expertise in specific industries or niches. Tailor your messaging to target clients in those sectors, positioning your firm as the go-to PR solution for their unique needs.
- Transparent Pricing Information: Provide transparent pricing information for your PR services, either on your website or through downloadable pricing guides. Clarity on pricing can help potential clients understand the value of your services and make informed decisions.
- Optimizing Website Speed and Mobile Experience: Ensure your website loads quickly and is mobile-friendly. A fast and mobile-responsive site can improve user experience, leading to higher engagement and more conversions on both desktop and mobile devices.
4.) Sales Funnels for Public Relations Firms
As a public relations firm, implementing sales funnels as part of your digital marketing strategy can help you attract potential clients, demonstrate your expertise, and convert leads into long-term partnerships. Sales funnels allow you to engage with your target audience at different stages of their decision-making process, offering relevant content and incentives to guide them towards choosing your PR services. Here are 5 examples of how sales funnels can benefit your public relations firm:
- "PR Trends and Strategies" Webinar Funnel: Host a live webinar or virtual event discussing the latest PR trends, effective strategies, and case studies of successful campaigns. Advertise the webinar through social media ads and email marketing. When interested participants sign up for the webinar, collect their contact information and send them reminders leading up to the event. During the webinar, showcase your expertise and the value of your PR services. After the webinar, follow up with a personalized email sequence, offering attendees a limited-time discount on your PR packages, encouraging them to take advantage of your expertise.
- Free PR Consultation Funnel: Offer a free PR consultation to potential clients through a dedicated landing page. Advertise this offer through social media and targeted online ads. When interested individuals schedule a consultation using a lead capture form, reach out to them personally to understand their PR needs and objectives. During the consultation, provide valuable insights and advice tailored to their specific goals. After the consultation, follow up with a proposal detailing your PR services and pricing, emphasizing how your strategies align with their business objectives.
- "PR Success Stories" Case Studies Funnel: Create a series of case studies showcasing successful PR campaigns and the impact they had on your clients' businesses. Promote these case studies through email marketing and your website. When potential clients show interest in a specific case study, direct them to a landing page where they can download the full case study in exchange for their contact information. Follow up with personalized emails, highlighting other relevant case studies and inviting them to schedule a call to explore how your PR firm can achieve similar results for their business.
- Thought Leadership Content Funnel: Develop a series of thought leadership content, such as blog posts, e-books, and industry reports, that demonstrate your expertise in the PR field. Share these valuable resources on your website and social media channels. When interested individuals access the content, use lead magnets to collect their contact information. Follow up with a series of nurturing emails, delivering more exclusive content and insights, positioning your PR firm as a reliable industry leader. Ultimately, invite them to request a personalized PR strategy tailored to their business needs.
- Referral Program Funnel: Implement a referral program for your current clients and industry partners. Offer rewards, such as discounts on future services or gift cards, for each successful referral they bring in. Send personalized referral invitations to your satisfied clients and partners, explaining the benefits of the program and providing them with unique referral links. When a referral signs up for your PR services, reward both the referring party and the new client, nurturing relationships and expanding your client base through word-of-mouth.
5.) Email Marketing for PR Firms
As a PR firm, email marketing can be a powerful tool to build relationships, showcase your expertise, and attract new clients. It allows you to communicate your clients' stories effectively and keep your audience engaged. Here are six examples of how email marketing can benefit your PR firm:
- Press Release Distribution: Use email marketing to distribute press releases to journalists, media outlets, and industry influencers. By reaching out directly to their inboxes, you increase the chances of media coverage for your clients.
- Client Success Stories: Share success stories and case studies of your clients' PR campaigns via email. Highlight the strategies and results achieved, demonstrating your firm's capabilities and expertise in delivering successful PR campaigns.
- Thought Leadership Newsletters: Create thought-provoking newsletters that showcase your firm's thought leadership in the industry. Share valuable insights, trends, and analysis to position your firm as an expert and trusted advisor to potential clients.
- Event Invitations: Use email marketing to invite media professionals, influencers, and potential clients to events organized by your firm or your clients. This helps in boosting event attendance and networking opportunities.
- Media Pitch Follow-Ups: After sending out media pitches, follow up with journalists and reporters through personalized email follow-ups. This helps in reminding them about your story ideas and increases the chances of media coverage.
- Industry Updates and News: Send out curated emails with relevant industry updates, news, and trends. This demonstrates that your firm stays on top of industry happenings, adding value to your subscribers and keeping them engaged with your brand.
6.) Search Advertising for Public Relations Firms
Are you a public relations firm looking to expand your client base and showcase your expertise in communication and brand reputation management? Search advertising is an effective digital marketing strategy that can help your firm reach potential clients, build brand awareness, and drive leads to your organization. By running search ads, you can target individuals and businesses actively seeking public relations services and demonstrate the value you can bring to their brand. Below are five examples of how search advertising can benefit your public relations firm and contribute to your success:
- Crisis Management Services: Create search ads with keywords like "crisis communication experts" or "emergency PR services." This strategy allows you to target organizations facing public relations crises and looking for professional guidance. Highlight your firm's experience in managing critical situations, restoring brand reputation, and protecting client interests in your ad text.
- Media Relations Expertise: Run search ads targeting keywords like "media relations agency" or "PR firm for media outreach." This strategy helps you connect with businesses seeking assistance in gaining media coverage and building positive relationships with journalists. Showcase your track record in securing press coverage and crafting compelling media pitches in your ad messaging.
- Brand Reputation Management: Advertise your brand reputation management services with search ads. Use keywords like "online reputation management firm" or "PR for brand reputation." This strategy targets businesses looking to enhance and protect their online reputation. Emphasize your firm's strategies for monitoring, managing, and enhancing brand perception in your ad content.
- Event Publicity: Create search ads with keywords like "event PR agency" or "public relations for events." This strategy targets organizations planning events and in need of publicity and media coverage. Highlight your expertise in event promotion, media outreach, and creating buzz around notable occasions in your ad copy.
- Industry-Specific PR Services: Run search ads targeting keywords related to specific industries or niches, such as "tech PR firm" or "healthcare public relations experts." This strategy allows you to reach businesses looking for PR firms with industry-specific knowledge. Showcase your experience in working with clients in the relevant industry and your understanding of their unique PR needs.
7.) Content Marketing for Public Relations Firms
As a public relations firm, content marketing can be a powerful digital marketing strategy to showcase your expertise in communication, media relations, and reputation management. By producing valuable and relevant content, you can position your firm as a thought leader in the industry and attract potential clients who seek strategic PR solutions. Here are five examples of how content marketing can benefit your public relations business:
- Industry Insights: Create a blog or resource section on your website to publish articles and analysis on industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies. Sharing insights into the evolving PR landscape demonstrates your firm's knowledge and understanding of the latest developments, making it an attractive option for businesses seeking up-to-date and effective PR strategies.
- Media Pitching Tips: Develop content that offers practical tips and guidelines for crafting compelling media pitches. Share advice on how to craft a newsworthy story angle, build relationships with journalists, and increase the chances of media coverage. This type of content establishes your firm as a valuable resource for businesses seeking media exposure and improved brand visibility.
- Crisis Communication Guides: Showcase your crisis management expertise by offering in-depth guides on handling different types of crises. Provide step-by-step plans for managing crises, including examples of successful crisis responses. Businesses facing reputation-threatening situations will be drawn to a PR firm that has a proven track record in mitigating and resolving crises effectively.
- Client Success Stories: Share case studies that highlight successful PR campaigns and their outcomes. Describe the challenges your firm faced and the strategies implemented to achieve client goals. Case studies demonstrate your ability to deliver tangible results, instilling confidence in potential clients who seek a PR firm that can generate positive publicity and brand recognition.
- Webinars and Events: Host webinars or virtual events where you share your expertise on various PR topics. Invite guest speakers and industry experts to participate in panel discussions. These events position your firm as a thought leader in the PR space and provide valuable networking opportunities, attracting businesses seeking comprehensive PR solutions.
8.) Reputation Management for Public Relations Firms
As a public relations firm, reputation management is a crucial aspect of your digital marketing strategy. Maintaining a positive reputation online can help you attract more clients and showcase your expertise in the industry. Here are five examples of how reputation management can benefit your public relations firm:
- Highlight Successful PR Campaigns: Use your website and social media platforms to showcase successful PR campaigns you've conducted for your clients. Sharing case studies, press coverage, and testimonials from satisfied clients can build credibility and demonstrate your ability to deliver impactful results.
- Respond to Media Inquiries Promptly: Monitor and respond promptly to media inquiries and journalist requests for information. Being accessible and responsive to the media can help establish your firm as a reliable and valuable resource, leading to more media opportunities for your clients.
- Showcase Thought Leadership: Publish thought leadership content, such as blog posts and whitepapers, on topics related to public relations and communication. Establishing your firm as a thought leader in the industry can attract potential clients who are seeking expert advice and guidance.
- Monitor and Address Online Feedback: Regularly monitor online reviews and feedback from clients and industry professionals. Respond professionally to both positive and negative comments. Addressing any concerns or issues shows that you care about your clients' experiences and are committed to delivering exceptional service.
- Celebrate Accolades and Awards: Share any awards or accolades your firm has received for its outstanding work in public relations. Displaying awards and recognitions on your website and social media can instill confidence in potential clients and reinforce your firm's reputation as a top-performing PR agency.
9.) Video Marketing for Public Relations Firms
As a public relations firm, video marketing can be an effective digital strategy to showcase your expertise, engage with your target audience, and amplify your clients' messages. Video content allows you to tell compelling stories, build brand awareness, and establish a strong online presence. Here are five examples of how video marketing can help your public relations business:
- Client Success Stories: Produce video testimonials or case studies featuring your clients' success stories. Showcase how your PR strategies and efforts have helped them achieve their goals and overcome challenges. This builds credibility and demonstrates the value of your services to potential clients.
- Expert Interviews: Conduct video interviews with industry experts, thought leaders, or your own team members discussing current trends, insights, and PR best practices. Sharing valuable insights through interviews establishes your firm as an authority in the field and attracts prospects seeking reliable PR partners.
- Behind-the-Scenes Footage: Provide a glimpse into your agency's culture and day-to-day operations through behind-the-scenes videos. This humanizes your brand and fosters a personal connection with your audience, showcasing the talented team behind your successful PR campaigns.
- Event Highlights: Capture and share video highlights from events you've organized or attended on behalf of your clients. This could include press conferences, product launches, or industry conferences. Sharing event footage highlights your firm's ability to create impactful and engaging PR events.
- Public Service Announcements (PSAs): Create compelling video PSAs to support causes or issues that align with your clients' values or your agency's mission. A powerful PSA can raise awareness, drive engagement, and position your clients as socially responsible organizations.